Thursday, February 8, 2018

Ryan Lefebvre and the Value of Internships

I have to admit, I got very geeked out about the idea of interviewing Ryan Lefebvre of the Kansas City Royals.  I am not a guy who gets star struck.  I've met my fair share of celebrities (it's not like I am a Hollywood reporter or on the desk at ESPN, but I've met a few).  I just view them as another normal guy who, like me, has to pay taxes, wash the car and use the bathroom.

But, as a diehard Royals fan, Ryan Lefebvre is my connection to my team.  And when I first met him, I was amazed at how kind and humble he was.  I had been told he was a great guy, but let me tell you, he is a GREAT guy.  And then, when our interview had to be cut short because he was volunteering at his kids' school (again, just a normal guy thing to do), he offered to come to campus to visit with our students and finish our interview.  THAT was impressive.

As program coordinator for our digital media production program at the University of Central Missouri, one of my duties is to oversee our internship program.  I pitch these about as hard as a Kelvin Herrera fastball.  So, when Ryan laid out the value of getting in the door, doing as many internships as possible, and making that great impression, I had to smile with a great deal of satisfaction.  Here is what he had to say:


Royals broadcaster Ryan Lefebvre on the value of 
internships (photo from Google Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment